#12DaysOfHealth- Healthy Shepard's Pie
This is a more British tradition than American but who doesn't love a good meat pie! Especially good for all those leftovers from a big Christmas or Hanukkah dinner ;) I personally love bison, it is the highest in protein as well as the leanest meat you can get! Along with that we have sweet potatoes (personal favorite as well). This complex carbohydrate benefits you by keeping you fuller for longer and not spiking your blood glucose levels. Yay healthiness!! Not to mention it's packed with protein, vegetables, and LOTS of flavor! Who says eating healthy has to be boring!
As always, the key to eating healthy is to eat the right proportion size. Don't over eat!
- 1 1/2 pounds of ground bison or ground turkey
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 12 cloves are garlic, minced
- 1 medium white onion, minced
- 1 cup of carrots, sliced
- 1 large zucchini, cubed
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 1/2 c unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Place your sweet potatoes in the microwave for about 20-30 minutes, or until they are cooked all the way through.
- While the potatoes cook, sauté the garlic and onion together in the olive oil.
- When the onion is translucent, add in the meat, carrots, zucchini, balsamic vinegar, black pepper, garlic and onion powders and continue to cook until the veggies are cooked most of the way. They don’t have to be completely cooked because they will bake more in the oven.
- When that is finished cooking, transfer everything to a casserole dish. (I used a 9x3)
- Peel the potatoes while they are still hot.
- Place them in a mixing bowl with the almond milk. Mash the potatoes till they are smooth.
- Smooth the potatoes over the meat in the casserole dish. Drag a fork lightly across the top to “rough up” the surface a bit for baking.
- Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes or until it’s nice and bubble (you’ll see that if your casserole dish is clear)
- Cut into 12 sections and allow to cool a bit before serving.
Be sure to check out my co-host, Olivia (@girlgettinfit) recipe: Healthy Peppermint Bark and Healthy Gingerbread Cookies now!
See my previous blog post about Healthy Cranberry Sauce as well!
If you aren’t already check us both out on Instagram for our #12DaysofHealthChallenge! It’s never too late to enter and staying healthy this holiday season! Our sponsors are Werkshop, YourTea, MadSkyMala, and myself! But hurry, the challenge ends the 18th and all submissions must be entered by the 25th!