Cinco De Mayo Healthy Eats
It's May the 4th and Cinco De Mayo and Return of the Sixth is here! (shhhh geeky references are commonly found on this blog!) This is normally when we indulge ourselves with yummy foods but how do we eat without falling too far off our normal habits or eating healthy with tons of flavor?
I have the solution for you! I personally have tried out all these Mexican inspired dishes to help you stay within your boundaries of eating healthy during this festive weekend. First up is: Coconut Shrimp Tacos!
Chili Lime Coleslaw:
- 1/2 head of green cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- juice from 1 lime, about 2 tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- pinch of salt, or more to taste
- pinch of pepper, or more to taste
Mango Papaya Salsa:
- 1 medium papaya, seeded, peeled and chopped into 1” cubes, about 1 cup
- 3 medium mangos, pitted, peeled and chopped into 1” cubes, about 2 cups
- 1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped, about 1 cup
- juice of 1 lime, about 2 tablespoons
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 2 pounds peeled and deveined shrimp, thawed and patted dry, tails removed
- 2 eggs, cracked and beaten
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut**
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- corn taco size tortilla’s
Chili Lime Coleslaw:
- In a medium size mixing bowl, combine the mayonnaise, lime juice, chili powder and salt. Stir to combine. Add in the shredded coleslaw and stir to combine. Set aside, or refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Mango Papaya Salsa
- In a medium size mixing bowl, combine the papaya, mango, red onion, cilantro, lime juice and salt. Stir to combine. Set aside, or refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- In a small mixing bowl, add the eggs. On a plate, combine the panko bread crumbs, shredded coconut and salt. Stir to combine. Dredge the shrimp in the egg mixture, allow the excess to drip off, then coat in the panko coconut mixture. Set aside on a plate. Repeat with all the shrimp.
- Line a plate with paper towels for the fried shrimp to drain on, set aside.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium high heat until very hot. Add in the coconut oil, and allow the oil to heat up for about 1-2 minutes until very hot. Add in enough shrimp to have an even layer. Do not overcrowd the pan, otherwise the shrimp will stick to each other and get soggy. Cook on first side until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Flip and cook the other side untilgolden brown another 2-3 minutes. Transfer to the paper towel lined plate. Repeat to cook remaining shrimp.
Assemble the taco:
- Assemble the tacos by layering the chili lime coleslaw, coconut shrimp, and topping with mango papaya salsa. Best served warm.
Next Up: Chicken Enchiladas!
- 1-2lbs of Chicken Breast (shredded)
- Enchilada sauce
- Corn Tortillas
- 1lb of mushrooms (tiny cubes)
- 1 large zucchini (tiny cubes)
- Refried Black Beans
Seasoning for Chicken:
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Mix together all seasoning ingredients. Store in an airtight container until ready to use.
- I boiled my chicken to make it easy to shred and keep it moist. Boil water and place chicken in it and cover for 90 minutes. Once finished, use forks to shred all the chicken.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cube mushrooms and zucchini and place aside. Place in a large frying pan with a tbs of canola oil. And brown. Add the chicken to the pan.
- Add Seasoning, use about 2 tablespoons per 1 pound of meat. Feel free to add more or use less, I just found that to be the sweet spot :)
- Sprinkle seasoning evenly over meat and add ⅓ cup of water. Simmer until water is adsorbed.
- Coat the bottom of your 9x13 Pyrex pan with the enchilada sauce. Take a tortilla and place chicken mix in, roll and place in the pan. Repeat. Pour enchilada sauce on top.
- Layer on the black beans evenly across all the top. Cover with aluminum foil, and bake for 40 minutes.
There you have it, 2 delicious Cinco De Mayo must haves! Throw a little party with your friends and family and indulge in a drink or two! You deserve it after all this food prep ;)
Check out more recipes like these in my Recipe Book here: